Awbury Arboretum

The Francis Cope House at Awbury Arboretum is the largest of several historic homes of the Cope-Haines family. Built in 1862, this gracious Victorian mansion also hosts an art gallery for local artists. It is built entirely of Wissahickon schist.

  • Address: One Awbury Road Philadelphia, PA 19138-1505
  • Phone: 215.849.2855
  • Email: AWBURY@AWBURY.ORG

Black Writers Museum

Built in 1803 by architect James Matthews, and purchased by the Wistar family in 1812, the Federal style mansion sits in the middle of the beautiful Vernon Park. Located in the heart of Germantown, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1966.

  • Address: Historic Vernon House 5800 Germantown Avenue Philadelphia, PA 19144
  • Phone: 267-297-3078
  • Email: info@blackwritersmuseum.com
  • Website: www.cliveden.org
  • Instagram: @cliveden1767

Cliveden

Clivden, also known as the Chew House, is an outstanding example of classic Georgian Colonial architecture. Built in 1763-7 by local German craftspeople for the attorney Benjamin Chew, Clivden hosted seven generations of the Chew family. The mansion reflects the meeting of traditional British Georgian architecture with Germantown’s own culture and surroundings, with its unusual gabled roof and Wissahickon schist walls.

  • Address: 6401 Germantown Avenue Philadelphia, PA 19144
  • Phone: 215.848.1777
  • Email: INFO@CLIVEDEN.ORG

Ebenezer Maxwell Museum

Built in 1859 by either Joseph Hoxie or Samuel Sloan for wealthy merchant Ebenezer Maxwell, the Ebenezer Maxwell House is Philadelphia’s only restored Victorian museum mansion. The house is a beautifully preserved example of the Victorian mansion, with a three story tower, four chimneys, and three porches, along with restored gardens.

  • Address: 200 West Tulpehocken Street Philadelphia, PA 19144
  • Phone: 215.438.1861
  • Email: DIANE@EBENEZERMAXWELLMANSION.ORG

Germantown Historical Society

This 1795 building, a perfect example of the Federal Style, is designated a Significant Contributing property within the Colonial Germantown Historic District and figured at the center of the early to mid 20th century national Colonial Revivalism movement. It is directly across from the Germantown White House.

  • Address: 5501 Germantown Avenue Philadelphia, PA 19144
  • Phone: 215.844.1683

Germantown White House

Built by David Deshler in 1752, this colonial mansion was rented by President George Washington several times during trips to Philadelphia.

  • Address: 5442 Germantown Avenue Philadelphia, PA 19144
  • Phone: 215.965.2305 (Main Visitor Center)

Grumblethorpe

Grumblethorpe, built in 1774 for Philadelphia’s Wistar family, is a restored American Georgian museum mansion. An example of Germantown’s natural resources, the stone for the house was quarried on the property, and the wood was hewn from oaks in Wister Woods, also owned by the family. Although originally intended as a summer residence, the Wistar’s lived at Grumblethorpe for 160 years.

  • Address: 5267 Germantown Avenue Philadelphia, PA 19144
  • Phone: 215-843-4820
  • Email: grumblethorpe@philalandmarks.org

Historic RittenhouseTown

Historic Rittenhousetown features early 18th and 19th century architecture ranging from German vernacular to Greek Revival. The earliest structure, the Homestead, is a typical German vernacular bank house that dates to 1707. Eight generations of the Rittenhouse family continued to live and work in the valley, all establishing homes and outbuildings along with their milling operations. Today six of the original family homes survive in addition to the WPA era reproduction barn.

  • Address: 206 Lincoln Drive Philadelphia, PA 19144
  • Phone: 215.438.5711
  • Email: INFORMATION@RITTENHOUSETOWN.ORG

Johnson

Built in 1768 by architect Jacob Norr, this Colonial Georgian style home is better known for its role as a stop on the Underground Railroad.

  • Address: 6306 Germantown Avenue Philadelphia, PA 19119
  • Phone: 215.438.1768
  • Email: INFO@JOHNSONHOUSE.ORG

Stenton

Built in 1723-30 by master architect John Nicholas, this incredibly well preserved estate is one of the most well-preserved and oldest historic mansions in Philadelphia. It is an outstanding example of the American Georgian style.

  • Address: 4601 North 18th Street Philadelphia, PA 19140
  • Phone: 215.329.7312
  • Email: INFORMATION@STENTON.ORG

Wyck

The Wyck House is one of the most architecturally innovative buildings in Germantown, with a colonial appearance and fashionable whitewashed stucco, and an interior that represents architecture from across the 18th century. It was rearranged by William Strickland in 1824 to integrate the garden into the house with a new open plan.

  • Address: 6026 Germantown Avenue Philadelphia, PA 19144
  • Phone: 215.848.1690
  • Email: INFO@WYCK.ORG